Author Archives: Chris

RSPB Middleton Lakes

Just south of Tamworth lies Middleton Lakes, one of the RSPB’s largest nature reserves.

This 160ha reserve was a gravel quarry until 2007, since when it has been transformed into a haven for wildlife and people.

Situated adjacent to Middleton Hall (owned by Middleton Hall Trust with a craft centre and tea room) and between the River Tame and the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal, the site contains lakes, pools, reedbeds, meadows and woodland and is a haven for wading and woodland birds, otters, dragonflies and butterflies.

There are footpaths, viewpoints and an events programme. The reserve is open every day from dawn to dusk.

Look out for…

Access:

Open to members of the public (£3 charge for non members).

There is a good network of surfaced and unsurfaced paths, benches and bird hides.

To find out more about access and opening times, as well as the events programme and volunteering, visit the RSPB website.

Contact:

For more information visit the Middleton Lakes pages at www.rspb.org.uk/reserves

Where is it?

Tameside Local Nature Reserve

Tameside was historically pasture land and is now a valuable site for wildlife and people.

The reserve was created following the building of the A5 bypass, when material was extracted from the site for the construction of road embankments.

Tameside covers 18 hectares, with a 3.2 hectare lake as the most prominent feature. The lake has four small islands, and is a great place to spot little egrets, herons and lapwings. The River Tame passes through the reserve and a small link to the lake enables fish to take refuge from the fast water and spawn. Kingfishers are regularly seen feeding along the river bank and barn owls may be observed hunting for small mammals over the rough grassland.

The reserve is a mix of grassland, scrub, ponds, and scrapes, and new areas of woodland have been planted across the site. All of this encourages many different species, from foxes and other small mammals, to an abundance of birds, insects and plants. Look out for dragonflies, marsh frogs and grass snakes.

There are a number of trails around the site that link to the River Walk into Tamworth and up on to the towpath of the Birmingham and Fazeley canal, which crosses the river on an aqueduct at the southern end of the reserve.

The LNR is managed by Tameside Wildlife Conservation Group through the ‘Wild about Tamworth’ project, a joint initiative between Staffordshire Wildlife Trust and Tamworth Borough Council.

Look out for…

Access:

From Fazeley Road – no on-site parking available.

Contact:

For more information about Tameside and the Tameside Wildlife Conservation Group go to tamesidelnr.wordpress.com

For more information visit the Wild About Tamworth website at: www.tamworth.gov.uk.

Where is it?

Broad Meadow

The 61-acre Broad Meadow is sited on an island between the two channels of the River Tame at Tamworth.

It is an example of lowland meadow – a floodplain grassland habitat which is becoming increasingly rare in Staffordshire and across the UK. Broad Meadow is also one of only two sites in the county where the rare Snake’s Head Fritillary can be found growing wild.

Broad Meadow is a Local Nature Reserve and is managed under the Wild About Tamworth project, which aims to make the site more accessible to people by opening it up and more valuable to wildlife by allowing the fritillaries to spread.

Look out for…

Access:

From Oxbridge Way, via the bridge over the weir to the west of the site.

Contact:

For more information visit Wild About Tamworth at www.tamworth.gov.uk

Where is it?

Hams Hall Power Station

During the 1920s, the City of Birmingham began constructing the first of three giant power stations at Hams Hall.

When completed, the Hams Hall site was the largest power station in Europe, with a combined generating capacity of over 900MW. Together the three power stations burned around 1.25 million tonnes of coal a year.

Watch a British Pathé news reel of the opening of Hams Hall power station in 1929.

 

The site was nationalised in the 1940s and continued generating electricity up until the 1990s.

By 1993 all three power stations had been closed and demolished, and the site was sold for redevelopment. The only building to escape demolition is the sub-station control building, with its magnificent domed ceiling. The building has a new purpose as a bat roost and is home to brown long-eared bats.

The site is now the Hams Hall Distribution Park and is home to many large companies, including E.ON, Sainsbury’s and BMW.

In one corner of the park, in the old walled garden of the long-gone Hams Hall, is the Hams Hall Environmental Studies Centre, the current home of the Tame Valley Wetlands team.

Links

▸ Visit the Britain from above website to see more aerial pictures of the Hams Hall power station.

▸ Visit the Power Stations Revisited website for a comprehensive range of photographs showing all aspects of the power station, from construction to demolition.

▸ Visit the 360cities website to see a fascinating 360° panorama of the inside of the Hams Hall substation control room, the only remaining power station building.

Where is it?

The Hams Hall Power Station was demolished in the 1990s and is now the location of the Hams Hall Distribution Park.

Drayton Turret Footbridge

This unusual Gothic-style footbridge was probably built in the 1830s by the celebrated architect Sir Robert Smirke, while constructing nearby Drayton Manor for local MP Sir Robert Peel (later to become Prime Minister). The manor house was demolished in 1929 and later became the site of the Drayton Manor Theme Park.

The Grade II listed footbridge is located near to the entrance of the Drayton Manor theme park and is among the most ornate bridges anywhere on Britain’s canals.

The bridge has been restored by the Canal & Rivers Trust as part of the Tame Valley Wetlands Scheme. Read more…

 

Where is it?

Whitacre Heath Pumping Station

The pumping station at Whitacre Heath waterworks was built around 1860 to supply fresh water to Birmingham.

The magnificent red-brick building was built in a Venetian Gothic-style and supplied up to six million gallons of fresh water per day, extracted from the River Blythe and the River Bourne. The building originally contained two large beam engines, designed by James Watt.

In 1904 Birmingham’s water supply was switched to the Elan Valley reservoir. The pumping station was then used to supply Coventry and Nuneaton.

The site is now operated by Severn Trent Water.

 

Where is it?

Birmingham & Fazeley Canal

The Birmingham and Fazeley Canal runs from central Birmingham to Fazeley Junction, just south of Tamworth, where it joins the Coventry Canal.

It is 15 miles long, has 38 locks and was completed in 1789 by chief engineer John Smeaton.

Curdworth Tunnel is the only purpose-built tunnel along the canal. It is 50 metres long and is an early example of tunnel engineering.

At Tameside, near Tamworth, the canal crosses over the River Tame on a short viaduct.

For more information about the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal, visit the Canal & Rivers Trust website:

www.canalrivertrust.org.uk

 

Where is it?

For Curdworth Tunnel, access the canal towpath from Wishaw Lane and head north.

Tamworth Castle

Tamworth Castle perches above the confluence of the River Anker and the River Tame, guarding the river crossing. It is one of the best preserved Norman motte and bailey castles in England.

The stone castle was built in the 12th century, replacing an earlier wooden structure.

During the English Civil War (1642 – 51) the castle was captured by Parliamentary forces after a short two-day siege and luckily avoided being demolished.

In 1891 the castle was purchased by Tamworth Corporation to mark Queen Victoria’s diamond jubilee.

For more information about the castle, and opening times, visit:

www.tamworthcastle.co.uk

 

Where is it?

Middleton Hall

Middleton Hall is a Grade II moated manor house, parts of which date back to medieval times.

The estate was originally owned by the de Freville family until it passed to the Willoughbys in 1418. During the 17th century it was the home of the naturalist and mathematician Francis Willughby.

By the 20th century the house had fallen into disrepair, but was rescued in 1980 by a charitable trust. The trust has been restoring the buildings and grounds, including the 16th century jettied building (pictured), which was close to collapse.

The site now features a restored Tudor barn complex, with craft shops, a walled garden and the largest man-made lake in Warwickshire.

For more information about Middleton Hall, and opening times, visit:

www.middleton-hall.co.uk

Where is it?

Hams Hall

The Hams Hall Estate was owned by the Adderley family for over 260 years. The name of the estate was derived from the fact that the land lay in a great hook, or “ham”, of the River Tame.

Hams Hall was built in the late 1700s for Charles Adderley by Joseph Pickford, one of the leading architects of the 18th Century, on the site of an earlier Tudor mansion. It was described as “a charming country house”, three stories high and with seven bays.

Following Charles’ death in 1826, the house passed to his great nephew, also called Charles Adderley, who later became the 1st Baron Norton.

Charles Bowyer Adderley was a wealthy philanthropist. In 1848, he donated eight acres of land to Birmingham City Council to create Adderley Park in Saltley, Birmingham’s oldest public park. He also built a school, church and a housing estate for workers  He was MP for North Staffordshire for 37 years and pioneered self-government for parts of the British Empire, drafting the New Zealand constitution. He was also famed as an “agreeable host” and the house entertained many prominent guests, including four-times Prime Minister W. E. Gladstone.

The house was gutted by a devastating fire in 1894 but was rebuilt the following year as an exact replica of the original.

Did you know?
In 1852, Charles Adderley successfully sued the City of Birmingham over the poor state of the River Tame, which was dreadfully polluted by sewage and industrial waste. Despite winning his case, it took almost 150 years for the river to recover.

Following the death of Lord Norton in 1905, at the age of ninety one, the estate was sold at public auction to pay death duties. The estate was purchased by the City of Birmingham, who sold on the house to an American shipping magnate, Oswald Harrison. He demolished the building, sending the lower floors to America and using the front facade at Coates Manor, near Cirencester in Gloucestershire. It is now known as Bledisloe Lodge, a private residence in the grounds of the Royal Agricultural College.

Where is it?


The Hams Hall Estate

Move the slider to see how Hams Hall has changed between 1905 and 2016:
View larger image