Hams Hall ‘A’ power station was opened in 1929. It was the first UK power station to burn pulverised coal, consuming around 770,000 tonnes per year, and was one of the largest in Europe. Water for the station was cooled by six giant reinforced concrete hyperbolic cooling towers, at the time the largest in the world.
The power station was closed in 1975 and the chimneys and cooling towers demolished in 1978. The short video below shows one of the cooling towers being demolished: