Throughout the Tame Valley Wetlands (Midlands, Birmingham, North Warwickshire, Staffordshire)
Mostly weekends, evenings and school holiday weekends (flexible)
Minimum 1 day per month
Why We Want You
Tame Valley Wetlands aims to create a wetland landscape, rich in wildlife and accessible to all, in the vicinity of the river Tame, between Castle Vale and Tamworth.
We need dynamic individuals to help deliver an engaging programme of events, focussing on natural heritage and traditional heritage skills. These events will take place at various locations in the Scheme area, including Kingsbury Water Park, Cole End Park, Tamworth Castle Pleasure Grounds and RSPB Middleton Lakes. From willow sculptures to bushcraft and Tai Chi, the events will aim to reconnect the local communities with their local heritage and wild spaces.
We will need you to help welcome the public, help with activities such as children’s crafts, and help set up (materials, tables, etc.) and take down on the day. You will be an ambassador for the Tame Valley Wetlands, and will chat to the people about the wonderful places to visit in the area and about our work. There is also an opportunity to help prepare some family events: designing and preparing fun activities such as crafts, scavenger hunts, etc.
What’s In It For You
- Be part of a small, friendly team of like minded people and be involved with a new and exciting project in its early days.
- You’ll get a chance to enjoy some wild and beautiful places, sharpen your people engagement skills and learn about wildlife and your local heritage.
- You’ll also be able to pick up or share skills and techniques, including event organisation, publicity and delivery.
- You will gain a valuable insight into the workings of several British conservation bodies and charities, including the RSPB and Warwickshire Wildlife Trust.
- This is an excellent chance to make a positive contribution to the wellbeing of local communities in the Tame Valley, and to help support and promote the wider work of the TVW.
The Skills/Talents You’ll Need
Some knowledge of wildlife and the local area is a plus, but not necessary. We will contract experts to lead specific activities such as Tai Chi or Bushcraft, so you don’t need any specific knowledge to be able to help (on the contrary, you might be able to pick up some new skills!) You will need to be outgoing and enthusiastic about the Tame Valley Wetlands, with an interest in your natural and cultural heritage. Full of initiative and reliable, you need to be comfortable working with members of the public and some previous experience of working in visitor/customer service or a similar public facing role is desirable but not necessary.
By registering as a TVW volunteer you will be registered as an RSPB, Warwickshire Wildlife Trust and/or Staffordshire Wildlife Trust volunteer as necessary.
All the training necessary and background information will be provided and since you’ll be giving up your time, it’s only fair that we offer to reimburse your travel expenses (up to 20 miles roundtrip). Having your own transport is not necessary as we will be able to pick you up from set pickup points.
For more information…
Contact our Community & Events Officer.