Welcome to the youth pages!
Here you will find information about what the Tame Valley Wetlands Landscape Partnership Scheme can offer you, the young people of the area. The activities and groups listed here are aimed at people between the ages of 14 and 25, and has something for everyone.
What do we offer youth groups/schools/uniformed groups?
- Bushcraft activities – try your hand at firelighting, den building, natural art or survival skills!
- Wildyouth – an outdoor youth club for anyone between the ages of 11-18!
- Forest School – a longer term programme of exploration and free time in a woodland setting.
- John Muir Award – a national award, open to everyone, aimed at exploring our local wild spaces.
- Work experience – keen on getting experience in conservation, or understanding how a wildlife charity works? We work with colleges and training providers to offer practical conservation work experience. Improve your physical skills, teamwork, communication and much more!
- Activities on your local nature reserves, or at our Hams Hall centre.
So what has the youth project achieved so far?
- 33 John Muir Awards achieved in 2017.
- Over 500 young people involved with the youth project so far.
- Over 700 hours of conservation volunteering given by young people across the scheme area (this equals 100 days!)
- Regular sessions with existing youth groups, exploring local nature reserves, learning outdoor skills and getting some hands on experiences with nature and wildlife.
- Regular contact with NCS Uprising in Tamworth. The National Citizen Service is a fantastic project running across the country, and we are lucky enough to be involved in the Tamworth groups! We provide sessions for the Skills Development Phase, allowing participants to see what kind of community work already exists in Tamworth
- One-off sessions for youth groups. Teambuilding, communication games, bushcraft skills – you name it, we can provide it!
Below you will find information on our achievements to date, photos of what we get up to, and info on how to get involved!
Wildyouth is a brand new outdoor youth club, held at our Hams Hall office.
- Open to anyone aged 11-18 who live in the Wetlands
- Every Wednesday evening, 5.00-6.30pm
- Held in the garden of our Hams Hall office, Canton Lane, Hams Hall Distribution Park, Coleshill, B46 1GA
- Minibus shuttle available to those who need it, contact Nicola for locations and timings.
- Come along to chill round a campfire, make a den, watch and learn about wildlife, learn some survival skills and much more!
JOHN MUIR AWARD +
JOHN MUIR AWARD -
The John Muir Award is perfect for a group who are looking for a new challenge to complete together. It is an environmental award scheme which encourages people to connect with, enjoy and care for wild places, but it can be completed in your local area! The process couldn’t be easier:
- Discover a wild place – this could be an area of your local park which you’ve never looked at before
- Explore it – take some photos, do an insect survey, do anything which will increase your understanding and awareness of that area.
- Conserve it – take practical action which will benefit the area
- Share it – let others know what you have done and what you have learned!
The best thing about this process? Your group decides exactly what and how you achieve it! You will have complete ownership and responsibility for the project, and learn skills on teamwork and project planning along the way.
Our Youth Officer can help you through these steps, and register you for your John Muir Award certificates once the process is complete.
BESPOKE YOUTH GROUP SESSIONS +
BESPOKE YOUTH GROUP SESSIONS -
Nicola, our Youth Officer, can provide bespoke visits (either one off or more regular) to youth groups or extra curricular school clubs to provide sessions on practical conservation, teambuilding, communication, outdoor activities, bushcraft skills and much more! If you are part of a group and would like to take part in something a bit different, get in touch and we can discuss your needs.
CONTINUED PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT +
CONTINUED PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT -
Are you a teacher or youth worker within the Tame Valley Wetlands, looking to gain some experience and confidence in leading outdoor sessions? We will be offering some training days over the next 12 months in order to provide an introduction to delivering outdoor learning.
For more information, contact Nicola:
Call or text 07971 912071